Add email@example.com to your cellphone and send pics straight to Holla Back NYC
HollabackNYC is now also accepting video submissions: Catch that jerk with your video phone or do journalistic style feature on Street Harassment and we'll post it!
Email your submissions here!
We welcome submissions from everywhere.
|Join the HollaBackNYC Mailing List
Keep informed of upcoming events, screenings, and the Post of the Month!
If you have questions about street harassment or about our site, consult our list of Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
For info on HollaBack's commitment to antiracism, click here.
- Blank Noise Project, India
- Brian Martin: Publications on Sexual Harassment
- Bronx Salon
- The Dinah Project
- Feminist Campus
- Gender Across Borders
- Girls for Gender Equity
- Hawley Fogg-Davis: "A Black Feminist Critique of Same-Race Street Harassment"
- Incite! Women of Color Against Violence
- Laura Beth Nielsen: "License to Harass"
- Legal Momentum
- Men Can Stop Rape
- NYC Against Rape
- NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
- NYC Radical Cheerleaders
- NYC Safe Streets
- Planned Parenthood
- Sarah Noel Counseling
- Sexual Harassment Support
- Stop Street Harassment
- Street Harassment: A Feminist Guide to Action
- Students Active For Ending Rape (SAFER)
- The Street Harassment Project
- Tolerance.org Street Harassment Resources
- Teen Voices
- Women of Color Resource Center
- The Women's Mosaic
- War Zone
Tweet from the Street!
Hollaback on the go by tweeting your street harassment stories! Add #hbnyc to all posts and follow us @iHollaback:
Want HollaBack to come and speak at your school, dorm, or organization? Email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News
- Want a street harassment expert to tell you what it's really like on the streets? Email Emily May at email@example.com.
Articles by HollabackNYC co-founders
- Metro, "Crime Behind Closing Doors" By Emily May
- On the Issues Magazine, "Gender Harassment: From our revolution to yours." By Emily May
- New York Daily News, "MTA must crack down on epidemic of subway groping." By Emily May and Sam Carter
- Current TV (Our HOLLAfavorite!)
- Women's Media Center: "Emily May: A Woman Making History"
- NYC Tracks: Harassment May be on the Rise
- Global Sister: Meet the Org, HollabackNYC
- Volcano Radio's Feminist Wednesday: Emily May of HollabackNYC
- The Daily Femme: Interview with Emily May of HollabackNYC
- Katie Couric blogs about HollaBack!
- San Francisco Chronicle: "Creeps Beware"
- Bust magazine: "Make Love to the Camera!"
- LA Times: "NYC Fights Gropers, Flashers"
- NPR: "Website Takes Swipe At Creepy Catcallers"
- LA City Beat: "Hey Baby"
- The Boston Globe: "Hey Baby"
- BBC World Radio Interview
- ABC's Good Morning America: "Hey Macho Man, Say Cheese!"
- Fox News: "Hit on This!"
- The NY Post: "Out the Lout!"
- Boing Boing (Thanks Xeni!)
- Gothamist: "Dickwads Beware: HollaBack is Here!"
- @Issue: "NY Women Hit the Pavement against Street Harassment"
- Feministing: Subway gropers exposed
- New York Times: Undercover Police Charge 13 With Lewdness on Subways
- Gothamist: Undercover Cops Get Molested on Subway!
- Women's ENews: "Women Strike Back Online Against Street Harassment"
- Gotham Gazette: "The Fight Against Street Harassment"
- HealthStyles, WBAI: HollabackNYC Co-Founder Emily May discusses harassment and assault on the subway
- WPIX: "Butt-Slapper On The Loose In Brooklyn"
- AMNY: "Riders Worry As Stations Losing Agents also lack PA systems"
- HuffPo: "When Hollered At: Hollaback!"
- Metro: "Cop on Perv Trouble: We Don't Handle That"
- NBC: "Subway Flasher Arrested"
- Metro: "Subway Perv Hits a Nerve"
- BBN3: "Hands Off!"
Holla Without Borders:
International press coverage!
- Canada: Dose
- England: The Guardian
- England: New Statesman
- Italy: la Repubblica
- Switzerland: Blick Online
Check out photos from our past events here!
Click to see
Click to seethe raunchiest, nastiest street assholes around!
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- A strong woman + a lifetime of harassment = a powe...
- We're hiring and we're shaking it up!
- Why I Hollaback: Emily's story
- Scary, scary 2 train turd
- Death Stare
- Marilyn Monroe I am not
- "This is the third time someone has reported this ...
- I want to "train you"????
- 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
- 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
- 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
- 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
- 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
- 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
- 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
- 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
- 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
- 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
- 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
- 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
- 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
- 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
- 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
- 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
- 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
- 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
- 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
- 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
- 07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
- 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
- 09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
- 10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
- 11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
- 12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
- 01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
- 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
- 03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
- 04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
- 05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008
- 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008
- 07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008
- 08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008
- 09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008
- 10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008
- 11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008
- 12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009
- 01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009
- 02/01/2009 - 03/01/2009
- 03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009
- 04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009
- 05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009
- 06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009
- 07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009
- 08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009
- 09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009
- 10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009
- 11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009
- 12/01/2009 - 01/01/2010
- 01/01/2010 - 02/01/2010
- 02/01/2010 - 03/01/2010
- 03/01/2010 - 04/01/2010
- 04/01/2010 - 05/01/2010
- 05/01/2010 - 06/01/2010
- 06/01/2010 - 07/01/2010
- 07/01/2010 - 08/01/2010
- 08/01/2010 - 09/01/2010
- 09/01/2010 - 10/01/2010
- 10/01/2010 - 11/01/2010
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Monday, February 19, 2007
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Mr. My Penis-Should-Fall-Off
Friday, February 16, 2007
|Last year, I was completing my year of study in Japan. My american friend Laura and I were in Tokyo for a week. She and her family (her father being Japanese) had come and invited me up to Tokyo to stay with them in the hotel so we could bond and I could act as their translator. One day, her parents decided that they were going to go to a temple and told us we would be left on our own. Now, the part of Tokyo we were in was near Roppongi, which is... a very shady part of the town (we didn`t find out how shady till too late), the hotel was a block away from the Russian Embassy.|
We hung around the hotel for a while until we decided we would go out to eat. We were NOT dressed slutty in ANYWAY. I am a Muslim so I always wear my head shawl and a dozen layers of clothing. Not to mention it was wet and rainy so we had heavy jackets on. As we walked down the street we talked and tried to figure out what we were going to eat. As we passed by a McDonalds I heard someone say "Hi!". I hadn`t heard English spoken in such a long time that I stopped, turned and looked at two men who were grinning at me and Laura. Laura and I exchanged a look, we had never seen either of these two men before, so we continued walking.
Then we heard "Hey! Wait up!" and the two men came out of the McDonalds after us. Instantly we panicked and took off running. The men FOLLOWED US. Laura, the faster runner, made it into the department store a block down while I was grabbed by the short One. The tall One went into the department store after Laura and dragged her back out. They started asking us questions, wanting to know if we would come with them to their apartment. They asked us if we would get in a car with them. They asked us if we wanted to "have some fun" with them. Now, mind you, Laura and I are 18 years old, in a foreign country, being forcibly held by two guys and no one is doing a thing to help us.
We try to get away but they just hold tighter onto us. The short guy was holding so tight onto my arm that it left a bruise. They kept feeling us up and asking us crude questions. We kept telling them that we had to leave and that we were going to go get something to eat. So they took us into a subway and bought us sandwhiches. They then managed to sit us against the wall so we couldn`t dash out.
They then literally made us eat the sandwiches, saying it was cute to watch us eat. It turned my stomach, especially as the short guy started to touch my thigh. After what was an eternity, a friend of theirs` walked in and they stood up to talk to them. I think they were high or something because their eyes were blood shot and the tall One was twitching alot.
Anyways, Laura and I then took the opportunity to escape, we ran out of there, literally knocking a few chairs over in our escape. Once out of the store we ran all the way back to the Russian Embassy to the safety of the security guards (who WERE armed, yay!). They watched out for the two men as we caught our breath, we then hurried back to our hotel where we asked the Manager to call the police. We filled out a police report and spent the last day of our trip in Tokyo hidden in the hotel room because we were too afraid to leave.
I have never felt so scared and threatened before in my life. I wanted nothing more than to escape from those two. If their friend hadn`t come in when she did I don`t know what would have happened to us.