Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your cellphone and send pics straight to Holla Back NYC
HollabackNYC is now also accepting video submissions: Catch that jerk with your video phone or do journalistic style feature on Street Harassment and we'll post it!
Email your submissions here!
We welcome submissions from everywhere.
|Join the HollaBackNYC Mailing List
Keep informed of upcoming events, screenings, and the Post of the Month!
If you have questions about street harassment or about our site, consult our list of Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
For info on HollaBack's commitment to antiracism, click here.
- Blank Noise Project, India
- Brian Martin: Publications on Sexual Harassment
- Bronx Salon
- The Dinah Project
- Feminist Campus
- Gender Across Borders
- Girls for Gender Equity
- Hawley Fogg-Davis: "A Black Feminist Critique of Same-Race Street Harassment"
- Incite! Women of Color Against Violence
- Laura Beth Nielsen: "License to Harass"
- Legal Momentum
- Men Can Stop Rape
- NYC Against Rape
- NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
- NYC Radical Cheerleaders
- NYC Safe Streets
- Planned Parenthood
- Sarah Noel Counseling
- Sexual Harassment Support
- Stop Street Harassment
- Street Harassment: A Feminist Guide to Action
- Students Active For Ending Rape (SAFER)
- The Street Harassment Project
- Tolerance.org Street Harassment Resources
- Teen Voices
- Women of Color Resource Center
- The Women's Mosaic
- War Zone
Tweet from the Street!
Hollaback on the go by tweeting your street harassment stories! Add #hbnyc to all posts and follow us @iHollaback:
Want HollaBack to come and speak at your school, dorm, or organization? Email Emily at email@example.com.
In The News
- Want a street harassment expert to tell you what it's really like on the streets? Email Emily May at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Articles by HollabackNYC co-founders
- Metro, "Crime Behind Closing Doors" By Emily May
- On the Issues Magazine, "Gender Harassment: From our revolution to yours." By Emily May
- New York Daily News, "MTA must crack down on epidemic of subway groping." By Emily May and Sam Carter
- Current TV (Our HOLLAfavorite!)
- Women's Media Center: "Emily May: A Woman Making History"
- NYC Tracks: Harassment May be on the Rise
- Global Sister: Meet the Org, HollabackNYC
- Volcano Radio's Feminist Wednesday: Emily May of HollabackNYC
- The Daily Femme: Interview with Emily May of HollabackNYC
- Katie Couric blogs about HollaBack!
- San Francisco Chronicle: "Creeps Beware"
- Bust magazine: "Make Love to the Camera!"
- LA Times: "NYC Fights Gropers, Flashers"
- NPR: "Website Takes Swipe At Creepy Catcallers"
- LA City Beat: "Hey Baby"
- The Boston Globe: "Hey Baby"
- BBC World Radio Interview
- ABC's Good Morning America: "Hey Macho Man, Say Cheese!"
- Fox News: "Hit on This!"
- The NY Post: "Out the Lout!"
- Boing Boing (Thanks Xeni!)
- Gothamist: "Dickwads Beware: HollaBack is Here!"
- @Issue: "NY Women Hit the Pavement against Street Harassment"
- Feministing: Subway gropers exposed
- New York Times: Undercover Police Charge 13 With Lewdness on Subways
- Gothamist: Undercover Cops Get Molested on Subway!
- Women's ENews: "Women Strike Back Online Against Street Harassment"
- Gotham Gazette: "The Fight Against Street Harassment"
- HealthStyles, WBAI: HollabackNYC Co-Founder Emily May discusses harassment and assault on the subway
- WPIX: "Butt-Slapper On The Loose In Brooklyn"
- AMNY: "Riders Worry As Stations Losing Agents also lack PA systems"
- HuffPo: "When Hollered At: Hollaback!"
- Metro: "Cop on Perv Trouble: We Don't Handle That"
- NBC: "Subway Flasher Arrested"
- Metro: "Subway Perv Hits a Nerve"
- BBN3: "Hands Off!"
Holla Without Borders:
International press coverage!
- Canada: Dose
- England: The Guardian
- England: New Statesman
- Italy: la Repubblica
- Switzerland: Blick Online
Check out photos from our past events here!
Click to see
Click to seethe raunchiest, nastiest street assholes around!
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- A strong woman + a lifetime of harassment = a powe...
- We're hiring and we're shaking it up!
- Why I Hollaback: Emily's story
- Scary, scary 2 train turd
- Death Stare
- Marilyn Monroe I am not
- "This is the third time someone has reported this ...
- I want to "train you"????
- 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
- 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
- 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
- 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
- 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
- 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
- 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
- 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
- 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
- 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
- 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
- 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
- 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
- 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
- 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
- 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
- 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
- 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
- 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
- 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
- 07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
- 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
- 09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
- 10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
- 11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
- 12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
- 01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
- 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
- 03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
- 04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
- 05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008
- 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008
- 07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008
- 08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008
- 09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008
- 10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008
- 11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008
- 12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009
- 01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009
- 02/01/2009 - 03/01/2009
- 03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009
- 04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009
- 05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009
- 06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009
- 07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009
- 08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009
- 09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009
- 10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009
- 11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009
- 12/01/2009 - 01/01/2010
- 01/01/2010 - 02/01/2010
- 02/01/2010 - 03/01/2010
- 03/01/2010 - 04/01/2010
- 04/01/2010 - 05/01/2010
- 05/01/2010 - 06/01/2010
- 06/01/2010 - 07/01/2010
- 07/01/2010 - 08/01/2010
- 08/01/2010 - 09/01/2010
- 09/01/2010 - 10/01/2010
- 10/01/2010 - 11/01/2010
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Rumor has it the Subway Ads are Up!
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Take the Street Harassment Survey!
|One of the problems with street harassment is that it has been so rarely researched and written about. I recently had brunch with Holly Kearl, who is currently writing a book about street harassment. Rock on girl.|
Help her out by completing this quick online survey about street harassment:
The more folks who take it, the more accurate it is, the more that changes in the world. Hollaback survey-style!
Story from a Bike
Thursday, September 04, 2008
Cairo Holla's Back!
"I get harassed 100 times a day. I tried everything to stop it but it doesn't stop. I wear loose clothes, I don't wear make up, I spend more than an hour in front of the mirror everyday thinking of ways to hide my body. I walk home everyday. It only takes me 15 minutes, I cross the bridge. It is usually very loud and busy, but that does not stop men from approaching girls, any girl, good looking or bad looking, covered or not.
I remember so many scary harassments. There was this guy who followed me and suddenly grabbed my bottom in front of everyone. I screamed but he ran away and no one interfered. Once I was shopping with my father and aunt, and this guy kept staring at me and blowing me kisses. My dad shouted at him and started hitting him. I think men are doing this because they are jobless and have no manners."
To read more stories from the women of Egypt, click here.