Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your cellphone and send pics straight to Holla Back NYC
HollabackNYC is now also accepting video submissions: Catch that jerk with your video phone or do journalistic style feature on Street Harassment and we'll post it!
Email your submissions here!
We welcome submissions from everywhere.
|Join the HollaBackNYC Mailing List
Keep informed of upcoming events, screenings, and the Post of the Month!
If you have questions about street harassment or about our site, consult our list of Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
For info on HollaBack's commitment to antiracism, click here.
- Blank Noise Project, India
- Brian Martin: Publications on Sexual Harassment
- Bronx Salon
- The Dinah Project
- Feminist Campus
- Gender Across Borders
- Girls for Gender Equity
- Hawley Fogg-Davis: "A Black Feminist Critique of Same-Race Street Harassment"
- Incite! Women of Color Against Violence
- Laura Beth Nielsen: "License to Harass"
- Legal Momentum
- Men Can Stop Rape
- NYC Against Rape
- NYC Alliance Against Sexual Assault
- NYC Radical Cheerleaders
- NYC Safe Streets
- Planned Parenthood
- Sarah Noel Counseling
- Sexual Harassment Support
- Stop Street Harassment
- Street Harassment: A Feminist Guide to Action
- Students Active For Ending Rape (SAFER)
- The Street Harassment Project
- Tolerance.org Street Harassment Resources
- Teen Voices
- Women of Color Resource Center
- The Women's Mosaic
- War Zone
Tweet from the Street!
Hollaback on the go by tweeting your street harassment stories! Add #hbnyc to all posts and follow us @iHollaback:
Want HollaBack to come and speak at your school, dorm, or organization? Email Emily at email@example.com.
In The News
- Want a street harassment expert to tell you what it's really like on the streets? Email Emily May at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Articles by HollabackNYC co-founders
- Metro, "Crime Behind Closing Doors" By Emily May
- On the Issues Magazine, "Gender Harassment: From our revolution to yours." By Emily May
- New York Daily News, "MTA must crack down on epidemic of subway groping." By Emily May and Sam Carter
- Current TV (Our HOLLAfavorite!)
- Women's Media Center: "Emily May: A Woman Making History"
- NYC Tracks: Harassment May be on the Rise
- Global Sister: Meet the Org, HollabackNYC
- Volcano Radio's Feminist Wednesday: Emily May of HollabackNYC
- The Daily Femme: Interview with Emily May of HollabackNYC
- Katie Couric blogs about HollaBack!
- San Francisco Chronicle: "Creeps Beware"
- Bust magazine: "Make Love to the Camera!"
- LA Times: "NYC Fights Gropers, Flashers"
- NPR: "Website Takes Swipe At Creepy Catcallers"
- LA City Beat: "Hey Baby"
- The Boston Globe: "Hey Baby"
- BBC World Radio Interview
- ABC's Good Morning America: "Hey Macho Man, Say Cheese!"
- Fox News: "Hit on This!"
- The NY Post: "Out the Lout!"
- Boing Boing (Thanks Xeni!)
- Gothamist: "Dickwads Beware: HollaBack is Here!"
- @Issue: "NY Women Hit the Pavement against Street Harassment"
- Feministing: Subway gropers exposed
- New York Times: Undercover Police Charge 13 With Lewdness on Subways
- Gothamist: Undercover Cops Get Molested on Subway!
- Women's ENews: "Women Strike Back Online Against Street Harassment"
- Gotham Gazette: "The Fight Against Street Harassment"
- HealthStyles, WBAI: HollabackNYC Co-Founder Emily May discusses harassment and assault on the subway
- WPIX: "Butt-Slapper On The Loose In Brooklyn"
- AMNY: "Riders Worry As Stations Losing Agents also lack PA systems"
- HuffPo: "When Hollered At: Hollaback!"
- Metro: "Cop on Perv Trouble: We Don't Handle That"
- NBC: "Subway Flasher Arrested"
- Metro: "Subway Perv Hits a Nerve"
- BBN3: "Hands Off!"
Holla Without Borders:
International press coverage!
- Canada: Dose
- England: The Guardian
- England: New Statesman
- Italy: la Repubblica
- Switzerland: Blick Online
Check out photos from our past events here!
Click to see
Click to seethe raunchiest, nastiest street assholes around!
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- Men who harass me: Sally's partial collection
- A strong woman + a lifetime of harassment = a powe...
- We're hiring and we're shaking it up!
- Why I Hollaback: Emily's story
- Scary, scary 2 train turd
- Death Stare
- Marilyn Monroe I am not
- "This is the third time someone has reported this ...
- I want to "train you"????
- 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
- 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
- 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
- 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
- 02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
- 03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
- 04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
- 05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
- 06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
- 07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
- 08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
- 09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
- 10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
- 11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
- 12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
- 01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
- 02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
- 03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
- 04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007
- 05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
- 06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
- 07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
- 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
- 09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
- 10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
- 11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
- 12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008
- 01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
- 02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
- 03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008
- 04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
- 05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008
- 06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008
- 07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008
- 08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008
- 09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008
- 10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008
- 11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008
- 12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009
- 01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009
- 02/01/2009 - 03/01/2009
- 03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009
- 04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009
- 05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009
- 06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009
- 07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009
- 08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009
- 09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009
- 10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009
- 11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009
- 12/01/2009 - 01/01/2010
- 01/01/2010 - 02/01/2010
- 02/01/2010 - 03/01/2010
- 03/01/2010 - 04/01/2010
- 04/01/2010 - 05/01/2010
- 05/01/2010 - 06/01/2010
- 06/01/2010 - 07/01/2010
- 07/01/2010 - 08/01/2010
- 08/01/2010 - 09/01/2010
- 09/01/2010 - 10/01/2010
- 10/01/2010 - 11/01/2010
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Apparently this Man Didn't Read the Anti-harassment Subway Ads
I've run into a perv going between Long Island City and Manhattan on the subway. He gets on the N or W train at Lex headed for LIC, and then gets off at LIC and takes the 7 train back. I think he rides any time of the day (nothing better to do?). The first time was over the summer around lunch time. He sat down next to me and was digging his arm into my side like he was enjoying it. I'd move and then he would still move his arm back. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination, so didn't report him. The second time was this morning at rush hour. He got on the train at Lex and remained standing. He tried to casually put his leg against me. I looked up and thought it was the same guy from the summer. I just got up as soon as we were near LIC. He followed me and started saying "cunnilingus" - never making eye contact. I yelled out to him, "You are absolutely disgusting!" Also, I reported him to the MTA. Seems like I am not the first to report this freak... The MTA employee, when I first started describing what happened, nodded his head and said "black jacket?" Hope they do something about him. I'm kind of freaked out... but mostly pissed off.
Submitted by JC
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Clark Street Creep
|On Monday afternoon, I was getting off the train at the Clark St station in Brooklyn (2/3) when I was walking up the stairs from a subway platform, a man lifted my dress and when I jumped up quick, he tried to hold on to my ankle. I screamed and he ran down the stairs and got on the train. I called the police and was told that there wasn't much that they could do... |
Scared the hell out of me.
Submitted by Suzy
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
New York Shitty
Caught in the act of LAME.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Eyes, Tongue, Mouth: All out of Line
|I am only 17 years old and I have not experienced that much cat calling or harassment. I have gotten very few, but they were only things like, "hey beautiful". But today while waiting on the uptown 28th street subway platform for the 1 train, a man walks onto the platform, he had to be anywhere between his 30's or 40's. He's rolling some boxes and other cargo in through the emergency gate. I am sitting down on one of the seats right next to the gate, I had just missed the last subway by a second so I knew I had a wait till the next one came. I have this weird feeling coming over me. I had realized that the man with the boxes was just leaning against the emergency gate, and he had been for a while. He was right by me and it came off as a little awkward, because I had that "I'm being watched feeling" coming on. I look over and he's looking right at me. When I looked at him, he stuck his tongue out ALL THE WAY in a licking motion right at me, all while grinning this evil look. He then proceeded to say, "lookin' good, lookin' good!".|
I knew about Hollaback NYC, and I did have my phone on me. I wanted to take a picture so badly, but my hands seemed frozen and the hairs on my neck were standing up, and my stomach felt like it was going to fall out. I know it may not sound so bad to some of you, but I have never received something to this extent before. I couldn't bring myself to grab my camera phone and bust his dumb ass, I was in this state of after shock. He walked away right after and proceeded to chat some other women up further down the platform, while I was left in the chair feeling helpless.
I made sure we got into separate cars FAR away from each other when the subway finally came (after that it felt like an eternity). When my stop came, you can bet I ran out of the subway so fast. I didn't know if we got out at the same stops, but I wasn't about to find out.
Submitted by Susanna
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
You thought you could relax on the bus?
J train Jerk-off Strikes Again on F at Delancey!
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Let the lady have a seat. No, not on your face.
Saturday, December 06, 2008
Poor Form, BedStuy
|I moved to NYC in March and beginning in May I was living in a sublet in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. Not my ideal choice, but cheap and with a friend, so not a bad deal for a couple of months, or so I thought. I have never been harassed so much in my life as in the 8-block, 10-minute walk it took me to get from my front door to the train and back. I have lived in Brazil before and there the men constantly catcall, so even though this neighborhood was annoying, I figured I could deal. Now, I have big curly brown hair and a generous behind, and this definitely attracted attention in that area but what am I supposed to do, dress in a brown sack? Like I said, I figured I could deal with it. One night, however, I was walking home along Nostrand Ave. and a big SUV full of guys, windows down and music blasting, drives in the opposite direction and pulls into a side street right into my path, so that I have to walk around the back of the car. As I walk up to it, they start the customary, "Oooh, girl, mmm hmm!" and all of that typical bullshit, and of course I pretend like I can't hear them because that's what I always do. I also wasn't frightened they were going to physically assault me because the street itself is pretty busy, and even though it was after midnight there were some other people, including men in suits and other people coming home from work. Anyway, I walk behind the car ignoring them, but as I get around it and start walking away from them, one of them shouts (and I mean he screamed it), "I would SUCK your little pink clit. YES I WOULD!" and then he and his buddies just laughed, didn't even drive away, just sat there laughing. It was the most invasive, disturbing and disgusting thing anyone has ever said to me, and I was absolutely shocked at the nerve of these men. I mean, how would they feel if someone talked to their mothers or sisters that way? What's worse, none of the men walking near me said anything back to them. I mean, I don't expect anyone to stick up for me per se, but would it kill you to reprimand the members of your gender that are giving all of you a bad reputation? I mean, grow a pair and tell these assholes you don't talk to women like that, since lord knows that won't listen to us! After that night, I started staying at my sister's place when I got out of work late, and by July I had moved out. I will never ever live in that neighborhood or any other where I feel threatened on a constant basis. EVER. Unfortunately I just found out this site exists, otherwise I would have definitely taken their picture. Hopefully there won't be a next time....|
Submitted by Sage